Friday, January 16, 2009

BFE Wireless Interneting

One more technical question (you can add it to your future blog archives)

Question
My sister has one of those PCMCIA cards that connects to the high speed network in Albuquerque for internet. She gets it free from work. She uses it on her work pc, but they have a 12" Powerbook they'd like to use also. Currently, they have my old Airport basestation, and use it for dial-up, which they get free from the U of NM. it possible to get some sort of dock for Isthe PCMCIA card that would provide power AND act as an ethernet out that could go to the airport to provide Wi-Fi for the whole house?


Response
Concerning your sisters thing. Easy answer: ALMOST, or Yes, kinda.

OPTION 1
USB to PCMCIA adapter (use PB12 as share internet)
Maybe there is another company making these, but I have not found one, and it ain’t cheap.
http://wireless-internet-broadband-service.com/usb-pcmcia-adapter.html

OPTION 2
Do what I do
Get a $400 laptop and run it as your EVDO router.

OPTION 3
(probably the easiest and cheapest) would be to do what I am planning on doing, and prices are coming down I believe,
Get a Dlink, Kyocera KR-1, or LinkSYS EVDO router.

Linksys is what I am holding my breath for, just because I have a 100% linksys network backbone, but you and I enjoyed our Kyocera products, they are about to release a new one the KR2, probably not going to have PCMCIA on it, but the KR1 has both USB and PCMCIA on it making it, near, futureproof.

$150
http://www.google.com/product_url?q=http://www.pcmall.com/pcmall/shop/detail~dpno~7134864.asp&fr=APlvjIaM7RxsNTZy43L5YRNf7KFarmePgWr01TSNPAyzPpMg-XeyF6ScvKjZyetWSwv1kijxK6u0_8DzaUI3UOnBXhC0C0MHBf5pWs8Xh2bqJesHFXvk3qDA3xC7Zoun2gAAAAAAAAAA&gl=us&hl=en&sa=title

These things are small enough to be portable, and you can even run them in the car, and have a ‘portable’ hotspot, because it has B&G (KR2 will have N)

No comments:

Post a Comment